Southwestern Mixed Vegetable Soup USA

I took inventory of my pantry and freezer and discovered I had everything but the tomatillos for this soup. Not making a big shopping list is a good thing!

This soup is wonderful! I loved the way the sweetness of the zucchini, the tartness of the tomatillo and the smokiness of the chipotle had a party in my mouth.

I cooked dried black beans last night so there will be more black bean recipes to come.

image_1 by you.

Southwestern Mixed Vegetable Soup
How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman

2 tbs grapeseed or corn oil
1 large onion roughly chopped
1 tbs minced garlic
1 dried chipotle(I used canned in adobo and minced it)
1 tbs ground cumin
1 tbs fresh oregano or epazote leaves
salt and ground pepper
1 cup corn kernels (I used frozen unthawed)
1 cup cooked black beans
1 large potato peeled and rough chopped(I used 2 red potatoes and left the peel on)
3 tomatillos cut into chunks or use canned
1 med tomato rough chopped
1 zucchini rough chopped
6 cups vegetable stock
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves

Sautee onion in oil for 10 minutes or until browned over medium heat
Add garlic, cumin and oregano with a little salt and pepper
Sautee 30 seconds.
Add remaining vegetables and beans and sautee till shiny about 1 minute.
Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until potato is done. Season to taste, pour into bowlsa and top with cilantro.

3 comments:

Vicci said...

Kristi, I just happen to have a cup of cooked black beans left from a bag of dried beans which I cooked the other day, and this looks like a fabulous way to use them! Thanks for posting the recipe. :)

~Vicci

Robin said...

The picture looks wonderful. Funny, I'm cooking black beans as we speak ... my pantry was full of them as well. I'll have to flag this one in my book ... looks great!

KristiB said...

I love black beans and found another unique recipe to use up the remainder. That's coming on tuesday.