Chicken Adobo #1-Philippines

Photobucket

I love chicken adobo and have had several incarnations. The reason I called this post #1 is that I've found two recipes for adobo I want to try.

This one comes from Memories of a Philippine Kitchen by Amy Besa and Romy Dorotan. This is the version they serve in their acclaimed restaurant Cendrillon.

It couldn't be easier. Mix ingredients in a bag, marinate and boil. A simple recipe with a huge payoff. I loved the way the vinegar flavored the chicken and the leftovers were even better.

I served it with Mushroom and Bamboo Shoot Rice which was also delicious. It reminded me of some of the rice recipes in Cradle of Flavor.

Chicken Adobo

1 1/2 cups rice vinegar
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup soy sauce
12 peeled garlic cloves (I smashed them too)
3 bay leaves
3 whole birdseye chiles (I cut them in four pieces)
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

3lb of chicken pieces(I had thighs in the freezer so I used them)

Combine the vinegar through the black pepper in a large ziplock and marinate overnight.

Place marinade and chicken in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 25 minutes or until chicken is done turning every now and then to coat. Remove chicken from pan and increase heat to med-high. Cook until reduced to the consistency of a heavy cream. Remove chiles and bay leaves. Add chicken and rewarm.

Mushroom and Bamboo Shoot Rice

3 cups jasmine rice rinsed
3 tbs vegetable oil
1 small onion finely chopped
1 carrot, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 lb shiitake mushrooms, stemmed,cleaned and sliced
1/2 cup canned bamboo shoots drained and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
4 1/2 cups chicken stock or water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper

Heat oil in a large saucepan.

Cook onion and carrot until tender. Add garlic and cook a minute more.
Add mushrooms, bamboo and turmeric and cook about 5 minutes or until mushrooms give off liquid, stirring often.

Stir in rice, stock or water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer about 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.

Remove pan from heat and fluff with a fork. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving.

4 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I've never had chicken adobo - but the ingredient list makes me think it's something I would like! I'll have to try this one.

Maggie said...

Hi,
My name is Maggie and I'm the new intern at Cookinglight.com. I'm trying to put together a blog entry about some of our loyal BB members and their own blogs, and I was wondering if you would be able to email me so I can ask you a few question. My address is maggie_gordon@timeinc.com

Thanks so much!
Maggie

Anonymous said...

I to like chicken adobo. This one is similar to my recipe. You are right the leftovers are good and it is so simple to make. If done properly the meat just falls off the bone. I like using legs and breasts for mine.

On a side note I added you to my blogroll if you don't mind.

KristiB said...

Of course I don't mind Bryan!

And I shall add you too!

thanks!!