Pomegranate Soup




I recently read a novel called Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran about three Persian sisters who relocated to Ireland after the Revolution, opened a cafe and entranced the locals with their exotic cuisine. Think Chocolat or Like Water for Chocolate. The novel contains the recipes mentioned in the book.

Anyway I never thought of using pomegranate in a savory dish and this recipe caught my eye. and a Google search turned up many other variations.

I settled on the recipe from the book because I had most of the ingredients on hand. I liked the soup but didn't swoon over it like the characters in the book. It had a nice sour savory-ness and was quite "herby" but the lamb really needed to be seasoned.

I also considered THIS recipe and I think it's the one I should have made. And probaly will make in the near future.

Pomegranate Soup
Marsha Mehran

2 onions chopped
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup yellow split peas rinsed
3/4 cup rice
6 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp tumeric
2 cups parsley, chopped
2 cups cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup mint, chopped
1 cup scallions, chopped
1 lb ground lamb
2 cups pomegranate juice
1 tbs sugar
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs angelica powder(I din't have any wand wasn't in the mood to track it down and the recipe said "optional")

In a large stockpot saute the onion in the olive oil until golden. Add peas, rice, water, salt, pepper, tumeric and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer covered 30 minutes. Add parsley, cilantro, mint and scallions and simmer 15 minutes. Meanwhile roll lamb into medium meatballs. Add meatballs and remaining ingredients to the pot and simmer, covered for 45 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever about the recipe, I'll have to look up that book. It's not one I'd heard of (even though I live here in Ireland) - I'm intrigued!

Rachel said...

This recipe and the book sound intriguing. Thanks for sharing this exotic soup!