Cashew! God Bless You Chicken with Jasmine Rice

image_1 by you.

I found this recipe through a random search. It's courtesy of Rachael Ray, who featured it in her kid friendly recipe book.

This dish is "everyone friendly" because it's really good! And since I'm not feeding kids I increased the garlic and red pepper flakes. I forgot to add the green onions but I didn't miss them. I'll put them on the leftovers.

To quote Rachael, "Yummo!"

Cashew! God Bless You Chicken with Jasmine Rice

1 box Jasmine rice (box? I always have a bag on hand)
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced (I used breast tenders. Thigh meat would work too)
2 Tbs sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced & mashed
2 Tbs rice wine, rice wine vinegar or dry sherry (I used rice wine vinegar)
A couple of shakes crushed red pepper flakes
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 large carrot, peeled and diced into small cubes
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 can (7 oz) sliced water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
3 heaping tablespoons-size scoops hoisin sauce
A couple of handfuls unsalted cashews
3 green onions, thinly sliced on an angle

Following directions on box, start rice.

In a large bowl, combine chicken with 1 tablespoon sesame oil, garlic, rice wine, crushed red pepper and black pepper. Set aside and let it hang out.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil in wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat until it smokes. Add carrot and stir-fry for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the coated chicken and cook another 3 or 4 minutes. Toss in the bell pepper and water chestnuts. Heat through for 1 minute. Add the hoisin and toss to coat evenly. Place chicken on a bed of jasmine rice and top with cashews and green onions.

0 comments: