Grilled chicken with Hot and Sweet Dipping Sauce-Laos and Thailand

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm cheating here because I've made this several times and it's one of my favorite grilled chicken recipes.

It's also easy on the waistline as there's no additional fat aside from the chicken. It's up to you whether you eat the skin.

The recipe is from Hot sour Salty Sweet.

Grilled Chicken with Hot and Sweet Dipping Sauce-Gai yang, ping gai

Pepper Coriander Root Flavor Paste

2 tsp black peppercorns
5-6 large cloves of garlic, chopped
3 tbs coarsely chopped coriander roots
pinch salt
1 tsp Thai fish sauce

I took the lazy route and whirled the peppercorns, garlic, salt and coriander roots to a paste with my mini-prep until it formed a paste and added the fish sauce. The recipe suggests pounding to a paste in a mortar and pestle, and I've done that before with good results.

Marinade

2 tbs Pepper Coriander Root Flavor Paste
2-3 tbs Thai fish sauce

3 lb chicken cut into 10-12 pieces

Hot and Sweet Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1-2 cloves garlic finely minced
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes(I whirled dried Thai chiles in my mini prep with the garlic)

Place the vinegar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Lower heat to medium low and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in garlic/pepper mixture. Let cool to room temperature. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 days.

Marinate chicken for one hour in flavor paste plus fish sauce for one hour at room temperature or 8 hours in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before grilling or broiling until done. Serve with sauce.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks really good and is within my diet guidelines. I am going to try it and will let you know how I liked it.
Temp