Shrimp Piri Piri-Mozambique

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I want to eat this all the time. Maybe that's why it's considered Mozambique's national dish.

It was so easy to put together. I cut the Piri Piri recipe in half but honestly I wouldn't mind having extra to marinate chicken or other white fish.

This is also from The Soul of a New Cuisine by Marcus Samuelsson. I marked quite a few recipes in the book so expect more African dishes!

This is supposed to be an appetizer but I had it for dinner with rice.

Piri Piri

Blend the following in a blender:

8 red birds eye chilies, seeds and stems removed (my local store didn't have them so I subbed 2 serranos)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tbs cilantro
1 tbs chopped parsley
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup olive oil

Shrimp Piri Piri

12 jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
1/2 cup plus 2 tbs Piri Piri, divided
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
12 Bibb lettuce leaves(I used romaine)

Toss shrimp with 1/2 cup of piri piri and refrigerate for 1/2 hour

Heat olive oil in sautee pan over medium heat and cook shrimp until done about 2 minutes each side.. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with salt. Squeeze lime quarters over shrimp. Spread the remaining piri piri on each lettuce leaf, place a shrimp on the leaf, fold over bottom and sides to form a wrap and eat.

2 comments:

Cate said...

Saw this on the CL photo thread and it has my mouth watering. Where can piri piri be found? How spicy is the dish?

KristiB said...

The piri piri recipe is there at the beginning of the recipe.

It can be as spicy as you want it to be. With the eight bird chilis I imagine it would be pretty spicy but I used serranos.

I like spicy food but I don't like food that hurts me so I adjusted.

I added half a serrano, tasted, then added the other half, and so on, until I liked it.

Thanks for posting! I really appreciate it!