Plumped Ginger-Caramel Shrimp



I want to eat this ALL THE TIME!! It is so tasty and fairly easy. Don't be alarmed by the amount of Chile powder. Your dish will not be that spicy.

I used frozen shelled shrimp which was fine, but made a big mess while shelling. Think red splatter. Next time I'll thaw and shell my shrimp and brine in the refrigerator.

The recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, The Splendid Table's How to Cook Supper by Lynne Rossetto Kasper and Sally Swift. I put it on a bed of jasmine rice and served steamed broccoli on the side.

Plumped Ginger-Caramel Shrimp
Serves 4

Brine
1/2 cup kosher or sea salt (not iodized)
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup medium hot chile powder (I used Penzey's Hot and it was tame)
2 qts warm water
1 1/2 lbs frozen shrimp in or out of shells

Saute
4 large garlic cloves
One 4-inch piece fresh peeled ginger(I used bottled and eyeballed it)
4 tbs canola oil(I used vegetable oil
1/4 to 1/2 tsp fesh ground pepper
salt
4 tsp sugar

In a large glass bowl combine brine ingredients and add shrimp. Let brine at room temp while setting up the rest of the meal.

Drain shrimp and peel. Pat dry.

Chop garlic and ginger together in 1/8 in pieces.
Heat oil in 12 inch saute pan with straight sides. Add garlic-ginger mixture pepper and a sprinkle of salt Cook for 1 minute stirring with a wooden spatula. blend in sugar and cook until garlic is golden but not brown.

Add shrimp and stir till done. Turn out into a bowl. Taste for seasoning and adjust if you like.

0 comments: