Lao Lemon Chicken

STC_0364 by you.

I got this recipe via email from my brother who spent quite few years in SE Asia. He promised it would be great and I had all the ingredients on hand. So I decided it would be a good dinner after my long commute home.

This is really good! Even my boyfriend who gazes suspiciously on fish sauce(he isn't entirely convinced it's a flavor enhancer) devoured his portion.

I didn't taste much lemon though so next time I will increase the juice. I didn't have 20 of the small Asian shallots so I used one of the giant American ones. I think this will also be good with chiles and limes although that would be a different dish. Probably closer to Evil Jungle Prince.

I'm relaying the recipe exactly as he typed it. Warning: profanity at the end.

Lao Lemon Chicken

2 TBS. Canola oil
20 small shallots, sliced as thin as you can
10 Oz. chicken breast chunks
2 TBS fish sauce
8 Oz. Coconut milk
Juice of 1/2 a small Lemon
Zest
of all the small lemon
5 Green Onions, cut into 2.5" lengths
Cilantro to garnish

In a fry pan fry the shallots on a low setting (about 250) until golden brown. (This should take about 8-10 minutes. Stir constantly. Some shallots will appear dark and others appear white, take them out when about 3/4 are brown. The white ones will continue to cook, don't worry.) Remove the shallots to a paper towel. They should get crispy after they leave the oil.

Heat the oil in a saute pan or wok and add the chicken. Brown the chicken as much as you can while leaving the inside raw. Add the coconut milk, fish sauce, 3/4 of the shallots, the green onion white bottoms, lemon juice, and zest. Simmer for 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Add the green onion tops, stir 1 minute until they are just soft.

Turn out in a bowl and garnish with remaining crispy shallots and Cilantro. Serve with steamed rice.

This goes well with mushrooms. I just put one clove of minced garlic in a tsp of oil in a small pot and gently cook until white, then add a package of whole button mushrooms, coat them with the oil, add S&P, cover, and set on the lowest possible I can get my stove, and them forget about them. I cooked the whole Lao dish after that, only shaking the pot every once in a while. The mushrooms just extrude all their natural juices and steam themselves so after 1/2 hour-45 min. they're fucking awesome!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Buff, do you think this would work with chicken thighs? you are using skinless, right. Looks good...as do they all

KristiB said...

You can definitely use thighs Lynne. i thought about it as I prefer thigh meat.