Roasted Cornish Game Hens with Plum Barbeque Sauce

image_2 by you.

While I was packing up to move I found an old cookbook. Betty Crockers Best Recipes of the Year 1989. I remember cooking from it quite a bit when I bought it (for $2.00 at TJ Maxx according to the price tag). I think the only other cookbooks I had at the time were the Better Homes and Gardens red plaid book and some of those magazine type cookbooks you find at the supermarket checkout. Nothing exotic believe me. I remember being attracted to this book because it offered some ethnic recipes.

I flipped through the book and decided to revisit a popular recipe that I remember
making for friends. The page is a bit splattered so I must have made it a lot.

I was a bit worried that it would be too sweet as the canned plums I bought were in syrup and the grocery store didn't carry lemonade that didn't have HFCS. But it was perfectly tangy and delicious.

You can also do these on the grill.

Roasted Cornish Game Hens with Plum Barbecue Sauce
Serves 6

3 Rock Cornish Game Hens, split

Make Plum Barbecue Sauce and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350. Place hen halves in shallow roasting pan bone side down.
Roast uncovered for 30 minutes.
Brush with barbecue sauce and roast an additional 45 minutes brushing with sauce 2 times more.

Plum Barbecue Sauce

1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tbs canola oil
1.4 cup chile sauce (I used Mae Ploy Sweet Chile Sauce from the Asian grocery store. It added a bit of bite)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 can (15.5 oz) plums drained, pitted and chopped
1 6oz can frozen lemonade concentrate

Sautee onion in canola oil until translucent. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.

1 comments:

nasreen basu said...

nice piece of information, I had come to know about your internet site from my friend vinay, delhi,i have read atleast 12 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your website gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new post, once again hats off to you! Thanx a ton once again, Regards, cornish hen recipe