Burmese Noodles



I read so many rave reviews of this recipe I was prepared to have my socks blown off.

I really did like it but it didn't live up to my expectations. I think that's my fault because I tasted the curry before it was complete and thought it was awful. However when I added the rest of the ingredients and the garnishes it was a 500% improvement. So if you make this, no tasting before it's done.

I have the leftovers for lunch today and I definitely want to make it again. It's very good-just not "greatest hits" worthy.

Burmese Noodles
Deborah Madison, Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone

Curry paste

1/2 onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves
2 1/4-inch round slices of ginger root, peeled
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 red bird chilies or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Noodles and veggies

5 dried shitake or black Chinese mushrooms
8 ounces fresh Chinese noodles or dried fettuccine
1/3 cup chopped roasted peanuts
1 large tomato, seeded and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 can unsweetened coconut milk, cream reserved
1 handful of snow peas, trimmed
2 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
Cilantro, basil, and mint leaves, sliced, for garnish

Use a mortar and pestle, or food processor, to make the curry ingredients into a thick paste.

Soak the mushrooms in the warm water for 15 minutes. Drain the mushrooms and save the liquid. Discard the stems and chop the mushrooms into thin slices. Separate the fresh noodles, if using them. Chop the peanuts.

Heat the oil in a wok until it's hot, and add the curry paste. Cook on high heat for 30 seconds, then turn heat down to medium and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Add a little water if it starts to stick. After 15 minutes, raise the heat and add the tomato and the mushroom liquid and coconut milk. Simmer for a minute, then add the mushrooms, snow peas, scallions, and soy. Turn off the heat.

Cook the noodles until tender and drain. Add them to the mixture in the wok and lift and mix the noodles until they are covered with the sauce. Put the noodles into a large serving dish and scatter the peanuts and chopped herbs on top.

3 comments:

Bob M.. said...

The difference between you and me, Kristi, or at least one, is that for life of me, I cannot imagine standing over a stove and sauteeing curry paste for fifteen minutes. Besides which, I know that the electric smooth top would give me a hot spot in the middle that all the paste would stick to! Too bad because, while I almost always find myself underwhelmed by Madison's recipes, this sounded like something I might like!

KristiB said...

Yeah I was duped by rave reviews. I must say I'm NOT a curry fan to begin with-hence the lack of Indian food on the blog. I'm trying to remedy that though with my acquisition of 660 Curries. I've had the Madison book for a few years and the other things I've tried have been good but Bittmans HTCEV is my "go to" vegetarian/vegan book.

Anonymous said...

Does the original recipe have 1/2 teaspoon salt?