Volcano Chicken



So this didn't go as expected. My inner pyro was fascinated with the the Volcano Chicken recipe on Importfood.com. I love Thai food and I've never intentionally set my food on fire before so what's not to love? It looked easy and not too dangerous.

I made the marinade(screw the mortar and pestle I used my mini-processor). I also subbed Sambal Olek for the chili in oil.

Then I had the brilliant idea of putting this on the grill since it's a bit warm for the oven here and I've seen people grill their chickens on beer cans before. I'm not an experienced griller but it seemed easy enough. HA!

I wanted to light the chicken outside and take a picture of the flaming chicken by the pool. Who wouldn't want to see that?

Turns out the whiskey in the marinade is already flammable and my chicken set his own self on fire so no final flambee for me. Luckily I caught it before it burned to a crisp (I was able to salvage most of the skin-yay!) but was disappointed I couldn't get my picture.

Despite the fire the chicken was cooked perfectly and the marinade is delish. A definite keeper. I'll make this again this fall or winter. I'll do it in the oven then take it outside for that pool shot.

3 comments:

Marvin said...

This looks fascinating! I'm a experienced griller so I just might try it on the grill anyways. I do have a question about that. Did you use an indirect fire (with the coals onthe side and the chicken in the middle of the grill under a drip plate) or a direct fire (right over the coals)? That may have made a big difference.

KristiB said...

My fire was direct and I think you must be right.

Let me know how yours turns out. I loved the marinade!

Marvin said...

I grilled the chicken this afternoon. Using an indirect fire and a covered grill is the solution. No flareups, no premature flambe. It was delicious! I used the basically the same marinade with a few minor substitutes for some ingredients that are nonexistent in Blythe. I also added a shot of whiskey to the beer can of water to intensify the flavor and added soaked hickory wood to the charcoal for that home smoked touch.