Shrimp My Way

Well not really MY way. I got this recipe from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything so I guess it should be called Shrimp Bittmans Way.

Either way it's delicious and if you have a well stocked pantry you should have everything on hand. I made the whole recipe and will toss the leftovers with a salad for lunch.

I served it over romaine lettuce with a simple home made vinaigrette, roasted cauliflower and a piece of bread to sop up the extra sauce.

Photobucket

Shrimp, My Way
How to Cook Everything, Mark Bittman

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (I used 1/4 cup)
3 or 4 big cloves garlic, cut into slivers (I used 4)
1 1/2 to 2 pounds shrimp, in the 20 to 30 per pound range, peeled, rinsed, and dried(I used 26/30 ct)
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh spicy paprika
minced fresh parsley leaves for garnish

1. Preheat the broiler and adjust the rack so that is as close to the heat source as possible.

2. Very gently, in a large, broad oven-proof skillet or baking pan, warm the olive oil over low heat. There should be enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan; don't skimp. Put the garlic in the oil and cook for a few minutes, still over low heat, until it turns golden..

3. Raise the heat to medium-high and add the shrimp, salt, pepper, cumin, and paprika. Stir to blend and immediately place under broiler. Cook, shaking the pan once or twice and stirring if necessary, but generally leaving the shrimp undisturbed, until they are pink all over and the mixture is bubbly. This will take from 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the heat of the broiler.(mine cooked really fast!) Garnish and serve immediately.

2 comments:

Vicci said...

Ooh, shrimp--I'll take a big ol' bowl of those, thank you! ;) But I think I'll probably serve them over rice. Looks delicious, thanks for posting Kristi!

~Vicci

KristiB said...

It would be excellent over rice. I just didn't feel like cooking rice.