Sauteed Chicken with Mango and Red Onion Chutney

This is seriously tasty and very easy to put together. My only regret is that I was out of brown rice to serve with this. I did steam some asparagus. The leftovers made a nice lunch the next day too.

The recipe comes from my Healthy Hedonist cookbook.

I also used coconut oil. I didn't expect it to be solid but I got the desired amount out of the jar and then some extra to rub on my hands. It really does soften the skin and there's no coconut scent.

Photobucket

Sauteed Chicken with Mango and Red Onion Chutney

5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
salt
black pepper
2 tbs coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion cut into 1/2 inch dice
1/2 red bell pepper cut into 1/4 inch dice
2 tbs minced fresh ginger (I used jarred)
2 mangoes peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
2 tbs apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbs curry powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Slice chicken into 3/4 inch wide pieces. Season with salt and pepper.

Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute half the chicken pieces until browned and barely cooked through about 1-2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken.

Return the skillet to medium heat and add onions and bell pepper. Saute until softened about 4 minutes. Add ginger and saute until fragrant about 20-30 seconds.

Stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken, cover and cook for a minute to heat through. Add salt if desired.

I just checked a Vietnamese cookbook out of the library so it looks like I'll be doing Asian again soon!

And I've also ventured into the blogging community and joined The Foodie Blogroll! I hope to visit all those sites and get some new recipes and ideas for my own blog.

4 comments:

Laura said...

This sounds good. Hey I really like your new layout.

Looking forward to some Vietnamese recipes...

Robin said...

I like this recipe series you are posting. I'm much more likely to have things on hand. In fact, I'm eyeballing a couple of perfectly ripe mangos on my countertop and contemplating this one for dinner tonight.

Thistlemoon said...

That chutney sounds wonderful! I bet it would go great as a condiment for so many other dishes!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

Robin said...

I made this last night. It was really good, very mild for a curry. My 18 mo. old loved it with rice. Next time I make it I may try a sprinkle of chopped cilantro at the end and see what that does for it. Great find ... thanks for sharing!