Glazed Tofu with Leftovers

I made the Glazed Tofu from Myra Kornfelds Healthy Hedonist cookbook. I'm not a huge tofu fan but I absolutely loved it! She recommends serving this in salads and stir fry's.

I served it on soba noodles with chopped mint, cilantro, chives and carrots and some of the left over peanut sauce from the Spring Roll Salad. YUM!

I actually sat down and read the book yesterday and I think there are some winning recipes. I also learned about the health benefits of the long maligned coconut oil. It doesn't get absorbed in food as much as other oils so your food isn't greasy. I'm going to look for the unscented version next time I'm at Whole Foods.

Glazed Tofu

1 lb firm or extra firm tofu
2 tbs soy sauce
3 tbs maple syrup
3 tbs mirin
1 tbs sesame or coconut oil

Place the tofu on a pie plate and set another plate on top. Weight the plate with a heavy can and press the tofu for 15 minutes. Drain, pat dry and chop into 3/4 inch cubes.

Mix the soy sauce through the mirin and set aside.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and stir fry the tofu for about 10 minutes until golden brown(it doesn't have to be golden on all sides). Add the soy sauce mixture and and simmer, flipping occasionally until the sauce coats the tofu with a syrupy glaze, about 3-4 minutes


Photobucket

1 comments:

Robin said...

I like the new look of your site ... especially the country/region shortcut menu. Like the looks of this recipe as well. I'm always looking for new tofu recipes ...I'm a big fan.