Seared Tempeh Wraps with Thai Style Peanut Sauce

This recipe from Jack Bishop's A Year in the Vegetarian Kitchen was underwhelming. The only reason I'm posting it is that I think it could be really good with a better peanut sauce.

So now I guess I'm in search of the perfect peanut sauce. But this dish has potential and I will make it again with some tweaks.

I'm not much of a wrap person so I took the leftover vegetable mix and tempeh and put it on a bed of lettuce and ate it as a salad.

One great thing that happened is I discovered I love tempeh! I love the taste and the texture and since I cut back on meat I appreciate the high protein content.

Photobucket

Seared Tempeh Wraps with Thai Style Peanut Sauce

Serves 4

1/4 cup hot water
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs fresh lime juice
2 tbs smooth peanut butter
1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
8 oz tempeh cut into 1/2 inch squares
1 medium cucumber peeled seeded and diced
1 medium carrot shredded
4 medium scallions cut into 1/2 inch lengths
1/4 cup whole cilantro leaves(I rough chopped mine)
2 bs roasted peanut oil(mine wasn't roasted)
4 12 inch flour tortillas warmed(I used whole wheat)
4 small romain lettuce leaves torn in half

Whisk water through pepper flakes together in a medium bowl. Transfer 3 tbs of the peanut sauce to a small bowl and reserve. Add the tempeh to the medium bowl and marinate, tossing occasionally for about 20 minutes.

Combine cucumber, carrot, scallions and cilantro in a bowl. set aside.

Reserve any marinade the tempeh has not absorbed. Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet. Add tempeh and cook, turning the pieces several times until browned on all sides about 5 minutes. Add the reserved marinade and cook until the tempeh is glazed, about 30 seconds.

Pour the reserved 3 tbs of peanut sauce over the cucumber salad and toss.

Lay the warm tortillas on a plate. Top with 2 pieces of lettuce, cucumber salad and tempeh. Roll, tucking in the sides to make tight bundles, slice in half and serve.

1 comments:

Robin said...

Just received my Bittman cookbook in the mail yesterday. I've been pouring over it and haven't even gotten past the salad section! Great recommendation, thanks! I love how he makes suggestions for variations to a recipe.