Chia Fresca

 image_1 by you.

There's no way to make this little powerhouse of a drink look good. But it is very good for you! And yes these are the same seeds that grow in the pets.

I first heard about the magic of chia seeds in the book Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall, which is an amazing book even if you aren't a runner. The people in this tribe run 50 to 100 miles through rugged terrain as if it were a walk in the park. Their fuel is a paste made from the chia seed which McDougall compared to making a 'smoothie of wild salmon, spinach and human growth hormones.'

The seeds were essential in both the Mayan and Aztec diets and chia seeds and water were the main ingredients that fueled Aztec warriors in their conquests.

After hearing all that plus everything in THIS excellent article I had to try them!

I've been mixing about a tablespoon of seeds in my morning smoothies and oatmeal and they really do help me stay full longer. Some say they taste a little nutty, which I only noticed in the drink. Otherwise they really have no flavor.

You can find various recipes for chia fresca all over the web but I just soaked a tablespoon of seeds in water for about 15 minutes and added lemon juice. Apparently this is best consumed about 30 minutes before a workout. I don't think it will enable you to run a 100 miles a day but it will help you stay hydrated and give you energy.

I found chia seeds at the health food stores but balked at the price. I ordered mine online from NutsOnline but Amazon has a great price on them too.

0 comments: