Khmer Stir Fried Ginger and Beef-Cambodia

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I haven't had time to get to the Asian grocery store and I've been short on time so I chose this simple recipe. There's a more elaborate Khmer recipe I'm going to try when I have some time.

Cooking fish sauce stinks to high heaven but the resulting dish is very good.

Look for young unwrinkled ginger otherwise you'll get the "cat hair" effect.

Khmer Stir Fried Ginger and Beef-Saiko cha k'nye From Hot Sour Salty Sweet by Jeffrey Alford

1/2 lb boneless sirloin or ribeye cut into thin slices
1/2 lb ginger peeled and cut into matchsticks
3 tbs vegetable or peanut oil
3-4 garlic cloves smashed and minced
2 tbs fish sauce
2 tsp sugar

Heat a wok over medium high heat and add oil when hot. When oil is hot stir fry garlic until it starts to golden. Add meat and stir fry until it changes color. Add fish sauce, sugar and ginger and cook until tender about 4-5 minutes. Serve over rice.

2 comments:

Robin said...

When I was in the States last month, I picked up this book, Hot, Sour, Salty Sweet, on your recommendation from the Monthly Challenge blog. It's a beautiful book ... a little intimidating .. this may be a good starting recipe. I also had success with one of their chicken red curries, using chicken from the bone instead of breast meat. Thanks for sharing, I'll give it a try!

KristiB said...

Everything I've made from the book has been excellent. I'll probably never make my own noodles but I plan on trying everything else.