Flank Steak with Hot Peanut Sauce with Glazed Baby Bok Choy

I haven't been in the mood to cook lately. It happens every summer. The temperature goes up and my appetite goes away. I usually graze on salads, fruits and the like.

These recipes are from the April 2008 issue of Cooking Light Magazine. I decided to try them because they looked easy and received rave reviews on the website.

I have to say they were easy and tasty! I also steamed some now precious jasmine rice.

It pays to make friends with your butcher. I hear flank steak is hard to find. I got mine at Whole Foods. The butcher told me it isn't a desirable cut of meat. When I saw the $14.99/lb price tag I commented on paying so much for a disrespected cut. The butcher wrapped my meat and wrote N/C on the package. Yep "no charge"! I told him he didn't need to do that and he said he always likes helping me even though I ask 50 million questions and to be sure and tell him how the dish turns out.

On to the recipes. I marinated my meat overnight and used creamy peanut butter. I'm posting the nutritional information but keep in mind it's for a 3 oz portion of meat so don't go crazy and pile your plate.

Photobucket

Flank Steak with Hot Peanut Sauce

1/3 cup chopped green onions
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed and cut diagonally into thin slices
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter
1 teaspoon cornstarch

1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place steak and 1/4 cup onion mixture in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally.

2. Combine remaining 1/4 cup marinade, 1/2 cup water, peanut butter, and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; keep warm.

3. Remove steak from bag, discarding marinade. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Serve with sauce.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 ounces steak and about 1/4 cup sauce)

CALORIES 212 (38% from fat); FAT 9g (sat 2.9g,mono 3.7g,poly 1.4g); PROTEIN 25.8g; CHOLESTEROL 37mg; CALCIUM 29mg; SODIUM 549mg; FIBER 0.7g; IRON 2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 6.4g

Cooking Light, APRIL 2008

Glazed Baby Bok Choy

Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 lb halved baby bok choy and cover. Cook for four minutes. remove bok choy and wipe pan with paper towels. Heat 2 tsp dark sesame oil over medium heat and sautee 1 chopped garlic clove and 1/2 tsp minced ginger for 30 seconds. Add 1 1/2 tbs rice vinegar, 1 tbs hoisin sauce, and 1 tbs soy sauce. Cook 1 minute and add bok choy and toss to coat.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a perfect 3 course meal! Thanks!